Over 150 Years of Service...
In 1867 the work of erecting the Port Hope First Baptist Church was begun, much to the joy of the Baptist congregation who had been in town since 1855.
Mayor William Craig had talked for some time about building a new chapel and had bought a new site for $800.00 which he gave to the church. The financing for the building was based on the principal of freewill offerings - gifts from eighteen subscribers which amounted $875.00.
Some Interesting "Firsts"
The first sermon preached was from 2 Peter 3:14
The first Treasurer's balance: Eleven Shillings and Fourpence
The first baptisms: June 29th, 1855, 5 people were baptized in Lake Ontario
The first organ: December 19th, 1871, offerings were raised for a "melodian" for the church
The first choir: With the new organ, some pews were removed to make room for singers' seats
...And Still Serving Today
Having spent the last couple of years pivoting and juggling to minister together during the Covid-19 era, we have emerged still a serving family within our community.
Sunday services are the main connection point during the week as we sing, read the Bible, learn, and pray together so we are better able to live our faith the rest of the week.
The Food Bank Garden, small group Bible studies and prayer meetings, Dinner Deliveries to people around town, summertime Lunch At The Garden, the Drop In warming (or cooling) room, youth and seniors' groups, and walking with homeless friends are all ways we serve together alongside other churches in town.